The skilled metal working personnel at Danko Arlington joined hundreds of local craftsman to renovate and restore Baltimore’s Basilica Church, officially known as the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Blessed Virgin Mary – America’s First Catholic Cathedral.
Now a National Historic Landmark and National Shrine, the Basilica’s cornerstone was originally laid in July 1806 and was designed by the great American architect Benjamin Henry Latrobe who was also appointed by Thomas Jefferson’s to design the U.S. Capitol.
The Danko Arlington team disassembled, repaired, hand polished, and lacquered the altar’s sixteen cast brass candlesticks. The company also reconstructed the wooden cross ornaments for the church’s Stations of the Cross.
After two years of renovation, the Baltimore landmark was reopened on November 12, 2006 with a Mass of celebration. Shortly thereafter, another special Mass was held to honor and thank all the workers who assisted with the church’s reconstruction.